Saturday, November 2, 2013

Red Kuri Souffle

Here it is. I got a carrot souffle recipe from Dave and Alisha a couple years back, chances are if you are reading this you have probably tried said souffle, being it is really easy to make and ALWAYS a crowd pleaser at pot lucks, it's my go-to dish.

Tonight Phil and I are going to a Dia de los Muertos party.... and I went climbing a little too long today at the Buttermilks, so I was scrambling to put something together for the pot luck. I thought, "Souffle!" Duh, it's your go-to dish like you just said, but we have no carrots! But we do have that kuri squash that I wanted to make soup with... and that's how it happened.

I can't tell you if it's good or not, I will have to wait till we get to the party to try it, but it smells good, looks good and chances are... it's going to be good!

If you want to try it at home, it's quite easy. All you need is:

1 red kuri squash (I boiled it because I felt pressed for time, but it would probably be better if you roasted it. Whatever way you get there, you want it easily squashed (haha, pun) with a fork)
1/2 cup melted butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 eggs
3 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 cup white sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt (I never add this because I always use salted butter)

Put everything in a processor, grease a 9" glass pie dish, cook at 325 (don't forget to preheat) for about 50 minutes. And tah-dah! Souffle!

It always looks best right when you pull it out of the oven, after a little reading online, souffles fall. It's just want they do, so don't be upset when it happens. I read something about adding egg white powder to make the egg protein more hardy and make it more firm... I didn't do this but who cares what it looks like anyway as long as it tastes good! And I don't know if this one will or not*, but if you substitute the kuri for 1 lb. carrots you absolutely will not go wrong.

*OMG, yes, it's good.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At November 3, 2013 at 2:26 PM , Anonymous phil said...

I didn't think it possible, but you outdid yourself on this one. I'm always a happy guy when you're making souffle :)

 
At November 4, 2013 at 3:10 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good reading good eating luff ya...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home