Sunday, October 27, 2013

Arctic Chill

There were strange things done in the midnight sun, by the men who moil for gold
The arctic trails have their secret tales, that would make your blood run cold
The northern lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see
Was the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge that I cremated Sam McGee

Now Sam McGee was from Tennessee, where the cotton blooms and grows
Why he left his house in the South to roam 'round the pole, God only knows...

-Robert W. Service

From left to right, Star Mountain, Half Moon Pass and Flat Top (aka Pointless Peak/ Mono Mesa)
I thought it would be a good brain exercise to memorize a poem. I thought, how hard could it be? and isn't it good to play memory games and such to keep your brain smart? Those six lines above were my best attempt at memorizing The Cremation of Sam McGee, by Robert W. Service. A poem containing fifty lines. I was just a little short but maybe I'll give it another attempt. I love the poem.


The first time I heard it was on my first day of dendrology with Rocky, the tree loving fanatic, at Colorado State University. Rocky had memorized and recited the poem to the class upon his introduction. I didn't know if I loved him or if I was more concerned for what the rest of the semester was going to hold.


Rock Coleman, just as you may have imagined him.

Although Rocky probably would not be impressed with my meager attempt at Mr. Service's masterpiece, maybe he would be happy to know I'm still out there enjoying the outdoors and taking a few pictures to prove it.

Here are some shots taken just after a nice nine inches of snow fell on Rock Creek Canyon.


Rock Creek Lake
Peanut walking on thin ice
Peanut, who I affectionately call Peanut Butter Ding Dong
Phil wading in the ice water to catch a fish. He's crazy.









Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At October 29, 2013 at 11:16 AM , Anonymous Phil said...

Amazing shots Juls!!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home