Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Crushing the Grand Canyon


Hi, Hello, How'cha Do? Wow, its been a long time since I've written anything. Thankfully my Maze Overlook post, Wanna Get Tatoos post, and the scandalous photo of Amy, are enough to bring about 4 people to my blog a day. Proving I still have a presence in the Blogosphere. Yay!
Mormon Flats


Anyway, what a crazy, crazy past few weeks! Four weeks ago I was getting sneezed in the face by 4 year olds at the Montessori Preschool of Flagstaff. 3 weeks ago, I was climbing in Colorado. 2 weeks ago I was back in Huntington Beach. Last week I was in the Grand Canyon. Yesterday I was falling ponderosa pines at Fort Tuthill. Today I'm playing catch-up and tomorrow I'm leaving for the Apache Sitgreaves National Forest. Phew!

What's that saying, no rest for the awesome? Yeah, that's it. I'm tired. But awesome. So everything is pretty ok.

Still managing to find time to blow bubbles with Phil, you know, the important stuff.



Crushing the Grand Canyon, Huh? I love this title. You know, most blogs start with a good title. Like a paper, book, article... whatever, once you have a title, everything seems to fall in place around it. And this one is exceptionally good because it makes complete sense, and no sense at all.

Now that I'm working for the American Conservation Experience, ACE, great name, I get to do a variety of jobs. My first one being trail work at the Grand Canyon.
Now, being a climber of course my ears perked up when our crew leader Sabine said "We will be crushing all day today, tomorrow and the next day."

Crushing??????! HUH!? I went from standing at our morning safety circle to traveling back in time 3 weeks back at Shelf Road. Crushing limestone, ahhhh sweet sweet-ness.

Here is a photo from that lovely week in Heaven: Dead Tree Crack 10c


And a Shelf classic, Dihedrus 10b


But as you can guess, Sabine was thinking nothing of rock climbing in the Grand Canyon... ALTHOUGH I was informed that there IS climbing in the Canyon, if you were wondering.

Sabine's "crushing" the canyon was something a little different.

Our morning hike down the South Kaibab Trail, I guess it's something like, 95% of the visitors that go below the canyons rim use this trail.
So, the best way I can describe crushing to you is this: take a big rock, one that doesn't appear to be able to be broken in to many smaller rock, and the proceed to mindlessly hit it with a small sledgehammer until it DOES in fact break into smaller bits and pieces.

I say "mindlessly" because you can imagine how quickly you could get side tracked and begin wondering about ANYTHING but the task at hand. Hum, I wonder how any miles we hiked today? Did I remember to pack my toenail clipper? I wonder if anyone opened the Oreos yet?

BUT it must be said, when you focus on crushing a rock, if you were into Taekwondo, a KEY-OPP! if you will, you would be amazed at the power of intention and focus of energy. Here is a photo of a volunteer demonstrating how to crush


This is the pile of presumably "uncrushable" crush that managed to dwindle its way down
This isn't the final product, but you can see whats happening here, the crush is a great resource that promotes better water drainage off the trail. Especially in this specific location at Mormon flats, with all the human traffic and mules combined, it make for one big mud puddle.

The crush will eventually be reinforced with logs every 10 or so feet and covered completely with dirt, making a nice gradual down slope. Fun stuff.
So I didn't get to "crush" the Grand Canyon as I would have defined it, but we made a small dent in the efforts of the South Kiabab trail and hey most importantly, yay! I'm inspired to blog again! I'm gunna make you a star!

2 Comments:

At May 9, 2012 at 4:09 PM , Anonymous Phil said...

Uncle Jim and I just walked across your beautiful work. Looked really great, and I would say that you truly crushed the grand canyon on that hike out alone!

 
At July 11, 2012 at 9:45 AM , Blogger Acey said...

I love you little sister!!! You should be a blog star.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home