Sunday, May 8, 2011

I Pulled a Rob

Ok. First, I need to explain who Rob is. Rob certainly is an actual person, a guy who I met yesterday, but I know you have met him too. Maybe not THE ROB, the Rob I met at the Buttermilks, but someone of the same sort. You know, the guy who has climbed every route or problem, knows the place like the back of his hand, overly flirtatious, slightly pushy, likes to hear his own voice, sprays beta, and basically, he will not ever go away.

Viva Bishop! Robs can be identified by their hemp necklaces, hairy chests and small guts... or also by their obnoxious colorful sombreros.


So, I can't say I pulled a TEXTBOOK Rob, but it was close. When I pulled into The Pit Campground I paid the fee then pulled into the first available site. I wanted to back my truck in, and the thing is always a little funny in reverse, you really gotta keep the clutch in quite a bit, or it'll stall. Maybe I'm still just learning, anyway. I back the truck in almost perfectly, then Boom Boom Boom, yup stalled it, haha. It's always a good laugh, at least it was right where I wanted it at that point. But the best part, it brought chuckles from my close-proximity neighbors: two (drop-dead-sexy), absolutely charming Brits, Drew and Steve. I quickly said "Ooops, that's a little embarrassing." I wasn't really embarrassed though, I was thinking, "Yes! This is my perfect segue to talk to the attractive climber guys."

Meet Steve and Drew






I went over to say hi, and they were as charming as they did in fact appear. We chatted about problems, and the good places to go, which is basically everywhere in a 50 mile radius. I went back to my camp after a few twinkling moments, and realized I didn't have a bench at my site. I walked back over to the guys, and said in that way that kids do when they want a piece of your food or something "Oh wow, what's that? That looks gooood." But it more something like, "My site doesn't have a bench.... (waits a little, looks around), I think I'm going to move... (waits a little longer, looks around)."



In retrospect, I was pulling a Rob. But sure enough, before I knew it, the three of us were playing Bananagrams, building a fire, and farting openly. But unlike Rob, I think I was actually welcomed, and honestly invited. I hope.



Well, lets see, I got here on a Tuesday and now it's Saturday. I have climbed the Happy Boulders, the Buttermilks, and Owens River Gorge. Here are a few pics from Drew and Steve's camera

Owens River Gorge, easily my new favorite place to climb




Drew and Steve at the Checkerboard


Erik's morning routine


A beautiful line that I am painfully close on


"Ok, look like you're checking the problem out..."


Steve making light work of another great looking problem

A painful stemming problem, I didn't actually finish it. But it's a good shot, right?


My most victorious send, the Shepard, or something like that


A fun one


Steve, being an animal, 5.12


Me and Drew and Owens


The unmistakable, creeper faceshot of a true Rob.

4 Comments:

At May 9, 2011 at 12:22 PM , Blogger Davin said...

love you girl, great to see you having a blast in Bishop

 
At May 9, 2011 at 2:27 PM , Blogger Acey said...

I am digging your adventure Juliana. love ya

 
At May 10, 2011 at 6:55 PM , Blogger Laurel Goodman said...

Get it lady!

 
At May 26, 2011 at 8:24 PM , Anonymous Rheaea said...

i love that face...i took up climbing again and this adventure just inspires me to push on in boulder realm.
love me some Julius.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home