Thursday, August 5, 2010

It’s the Little Things

I love having this conversation. I love it so much that I felt it’s worthy to be its own web log post, err um, blog. That’s what you kids are calling it these days. I can say “you kids” now since I’m a seasoned adult, no longer the new to the game, freshly 21 years old, spring chicken. I now have 22 years behind me. With those years have come many experiences, stories, lores, tales, tips, and spouts.

So, the little things. Little like… chocolate chips? Those sure do count don’t they? Or jelly beans? Yeah! Or chocolate covered jelly beans?! Surely those are the little things that count. No, no, although I do have an undeniable sweet tooth, I would say thanks to my pops, I’m not talking about those sweet little things.

Grasshopper in the hoop house


The sweet little things I’m talking about are the things that we so easily take for granted. Things that we live for but only realize that until their gone. The actions and thoughtful doings of your friends and families. Or the random acts of kindness from that stranger who walked away before you could even say thank you. On my NOLS course I really started to find appreciation and gratitude in the little things. And now over a year later I’m realizing how quickly we adapt and readapt.

Last week I went climbing up at Lumpy Ridge with two amazing friends, Brian and Erin. We got a late start, but went for it anyway. You would think I would know to bring a rain jacket after spending the larger portion of my time in Patagonia dripping wet, but for whatever reason, it slipped my mind. So we got on a not so user friendly warm-up route, especially for a crack climber wanna-bee like myself, then moved onto another. As Erin gracefully danced up the crack I sat and watched in awe. While being amazed by her movement, it was like being awaken from a dream with a friendly rain drop on my arm. Just a sprinkle. Then another. Then, as if the entire sky were a dam holding back a million gallons of water breaking loose and taking out an entire town, that was THE rain that actually came flooding out of the sky.

But there wasn’t a dam. There was no town that was wiped out. But there were a million gallons of water. A torrential down pour.

In that moment I was brought back to Patagonia. I thought about being wet for days. I thought about how I wanted my rain jacket in that moment. And I thought about how there was absolutely nothing I could do to change the situation. I couldn’t find shelter, I had no jacket. All I could do was just stand there and soak up the rain like a sponge.

Brian, who looked incredibly uncomfortable and cold stood there with me in the rain, belaying Erin and clearly wanting to be somewhere warm and pleasant. Can I get you your jacket? I said. How are you not shivering?? He responded.

I’m sitting here comfortably in my room now, on my birthday, and when I think about it, I just wanna be back there in the rain.

While in Patagonia I resented everyone who ever said they loved the rain. You love the rain?! I would think, well try loving the rain when your living in it 24/7. When you’re soaked through and through. When you ring your clothes out in the morning and you muscles contract as you slip them on because you’re so cold. But just last week in Estes Park I loved the rain. I loved every single second of it. Every single fucking drop. I love the feeling of defeat and comfort. There was nothing I could do, nature had won. It was so peaceful accepting the situation I was in. Not finding stress, but relaxation.

I’m not shivering because it’s not worth it, just take a couple deep breathes. My dad always says mind over matter, if you don’t mind, then it doesn’t matter. I remember holding so much animosity toward him when he would say that, but now I find myself saying and thinking the same thing. The rain was so heavy you wouldn’t have known there was a beautiful valley out there, just one big blob of grey. I didn’t mind it though. All that being wet and cold, controlling the shivering-s, turning the feelings of paralysis into empowerment. I loved it.

So those little things, rain drops, birthday notes, helping your friend put their jacket on are the things I’m talking about. I just wanted to take a moment and honor them. Thank you sun. Thank you rain. Thank you friends. Thank you family. It’s easy to let the people and things you care about go unappreciated, but not today.

Thank you for the birthday wishes and sayin' I'm a nice gurl.


The most delicious cake I have ever received. Everyone at the Gables also sends a big thank you to you Bligh.


Avana's first outdoor climb at the Crystal Wall! Check out her rocken style. Thanks for a great day. You're not a half bad ledge partner.


My new goal is to find as many ways to creep Avana out. This is my partner in crime.


A beautiful afternoon pipe change filled with birthday wishes and songs.


3 Comments:

At August 7, 2010 at 9:24 AM , Blogger Acey said...

Happy belated birthday Ooliana, Your developing a very intelligent and stylish writing style. Although I have only spent very little time with you over the past 5 years, with this blog I feel like i am getting a better sense of your personality through these unique entries. I love the little things too. Like the brightness of my room in the mornings. I feel like I get a little sun burnt every time i sleep in. Its either telling me I need to wake up at or near the crack of dawn or make some curtains. I think a compromise in this situation would be best. On second thought maybe it isn't a little thing?

 
At August 7, 2010 at 11:07 AM , Blogger My Velvet Bumper said...

I love you brother. I think you hit the nail on the head with your last line, I think the little things are actually the big things, the things that hold a lot of importance.

 
At August 18, 2010 at 6:59 PM , Blogger RedFreckles said...

Happy Belated Birthday! Haha your brother is right, this blog is so YOU! Omg I love the creeper doll!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home