Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Oh! This is What Milk is Supposed to Taste Like!

Another day on the farm. After 2 full days off, my body thanked me and was excited to get back to work. Join me in a little photo documentation of my day:

Here is a photo of Sandy, my mamma, as I call her. We had a morning filled with laughs, giggles and inappropriate conversations, which made the morning go by rather fast. This photo is a prize paparazzi shot taken at approximately 7 a.m.



After our morning harvest: garlic scapes, snow& snap peas, scallions and lettuce mix we had a day consumed with weeding. We are having our second farm tour this Sunday, and we want the garden looking stellar. And, well, there's still a bit more weeding to be done. But, today is our day off and those lovely weeds will be waiting for us on Thursday... and Friday... and Saturday. They're not going anywhere fast.

Each morning we have to open the Hoop House, where our poor, dying, planted a little late in the season, tomatoes are growing. We are supposed to open the sides each morning and close them each night to keep the temps right and our tomatoes happy. But, to call them happy would be a stretch.



Headed to the Hoop House.

After our morning battling with the bind weed in the onion beds, it was time for lunch. Mondays are notorious for SMORG. Now that I think about it, I don't really know what SMORG stands for. Its a hodgepodge of leftovers from the previous week served for lunch. And today it was surprisingly good.

Headed from the Gabes to the Pavillion.



Sandy and Kate getting excited about SMORG





Sarah commented that she thought it was funny that we always get dressed up for lunch. I could hardly say that taking your overalls off and putting a pair of jeans on is getting dressed up, but thanks for saying were nice girls!

Do you mind if I take your picture? Avana and Dave SMORG-ing out on Sunrise beef and salad.



Everyday we have a two hour lunch break. This may sounds a little ridiculous, but seriously, I need it. And it looks like these folks could have used an extra hour.



Note Alisha looking 'Perplexed,' as she always says, probably deciding if she should eat the cashews and sunflowers seeds or plant them. Also note Sandy, just about to take a bite, this lady is always munching. Probably has the healthiest appetite of anyone I know.

The last hour and a half Dave, Avana, Alisha, Sandy and myself were left to finish weeding some rows. One of the beds is 150 feet and takes a decade to weed one row. We embarked on the journey anyway, knowing there wasn't much time and ended up having to abandon ship prematurely. Here is a photo Alisha took, it's nice having a picture of me that I didn't have to take myself! Anyway, we cover some of our rows in remay, I probably spelled that wrong, but its a light fabric to protect our babies from insects and such. Its a pain, needless to say, and it really disconnects you from what you're growing. Just give Shannon a match, and I'm sure she would gladly set it all on fire.



After another long day, David and Alisha invited me over for some dinner before heading into town to cafe (a little shout out to Michael Vertuli for using cafe as a verb). Check out Alisha's wicked farmer's tan. This is something to be proud of... not. These two foodies whipped up a tasty pesto pasta complete with a tall glass of unpasteurized milk.







Oh! This is what milk is supposed to taste like! This was my first glass, and yeah, it's definitely a little different, but the health benefits far our weight the mild farmy taste. Thanks for sharing. Avana and I are going to consider buying a share too.



This place is probably familiar to all your Fo-Co-ers. David and Alisha, one of the most attractive couples I know, haven't spent much time in town, and any opportunity I have to get into Fort Collins, I'm there. We spent the evening chatting about humanure, global climate change and future farming plans. It was great spending time with these two.





Maybe we can be THOSE people and ask someone to take our picture -Alisha.
No -Julie.

Another great day. Thanks for reading.

1 Comments:

At July 16, 2010 at 4:32 PM , Blogger Alisha said...

HAHA at that last picture. And that is really how the conversation went- I was completely shut down. Love you Julie!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home