Thursday, July 1, 2010

The Bermuda Triangle

Today is my one month anniversary here at Sunrise Ranch. No, I haven’t drank the Kool-Aide. No, haven’t been attuned. And no, there hasn’t been any animal sacrifices. Unfortunately. Those would all make for great blog posts.

The time here really passes fast. I don’t know if it’s because we never get two consecutive days off, never really feeling rested, or if it’s because the Bermuda Triangle has actually shifted, moving Sunrise Ranch into its epicenter? We don’t really operate with compasses and no one has disappeared mysteriously, but my days are always off. The clock on the wall really has no meaning to us. We pay attention to the burning ball of gas in the sky and are guided by its energy. Its power than radiates from us to the plants we harvest, they later are ingested with enlightenment and enable us to awaken, find our true paths and follow them forever! Whoa, I don’t know what just got a hold of me…



This was taken this morning while moving the wheel line. I always wondered how they were moved, and well, its kinda like a big lawn mower. The wheel line is nice because one person can do it. The usual pipe change, on the other hand, takes the whole team. I have a love/dislove (haha) relationship with pipe change. I love how we get to ride in the bed of the truck in the morning. I love how it's like going to the water park twice a day. I love how it makes the mornings go by faster. What I don't love is getting eaten alive by mosquitoes in the morning and thinking I have West Nile. I also don't love walking through the tall grass. This may sound petty, but walking through the tall grass is almost winning the race for least favorite thing to do on the farm. Its close competitor, electric fences.

Another beautiful morning.



Unlike the wheel line, how many interns does it take to fix a hook and cuff on a riser? All of them.



I mentioned in another post, I can't quite call myself a veteran blogger, but I'm almost there, referencing older posts and all.. anyway, I mentioned all the beautiful faces around me. Let me introduce you to some of them:

Alisha



Alisha is probably the most photogenic person I have ever met, next to me of course, just kidding. But honestly I don't think this New Hampshire born and bred can take a bad photo. Alisha is studying occupational therapy. Her concern for the well being of the farm team is cute and obnoxious at the same time. I have never met someone so in tune with the food needs of everyone in a football field's distance of her. And she makes a kicken' quiche.

David & Kate



David is our resident self-proclaimed Foodie, aka, Food Snob. And I say that in the most endearing way. David is constantly teaching me new things, I'm blown away at his wealth of knowledge. David is the first one to volunteer for any job, an admirable trait, but sometimes I think he's just making the rest of us look bad. David asks almost as many questions as Alisha, sometimes stumping our managers and possibly sometimes testing their patience. This recent NH grad has big ambitions that are going to take him a long way.

Kate



I don’t know what I like more about Kate, the fact that she has the best vocabulary of anyone I have ever met, or if because people often mistake her ridiculous good looks for my own? It’s a tough call. Kate is a nomad, always moving around, but seems to finally be content here at Sunrise Ranch, for now at least. Along with her spectacular writing skills, we have started baking beautiful things together. Currently we have a beet cake with orange frosting and a banana cream pie under our belts.



Weeding the beans. Today Micha gave us a little lesson on the hoe. There are endless dirty jokes being made here. I have a lot of respect for Micha, which is why I had to bite my tongue when he said "If your back starts to hurt from the hoe, you just have to mix it up, try a different position, switch sides." We fire off hoe jokes and that's what she said jokes all day, but I felt like this time it wasn't appropriate, although it couldn't have been more perfect.



One more photo for tonight. Meet Sandy. Sandy is my guardian out here. Not like I would ever get into a fist fight, but if I did, this LA raised firecracker would have my back. Sandy looks half her age and can literally run for eons. She has am appetite that could rival a gorillas and taste buds that I swear can handle an atomic bomb. Sandy is a horticultural goddess with a few rough spots around the edges. That's why I love her.



You boys like Mexi-co?! Thanks Nell for the rocken' sun hat turned sombrero.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home