Friday, July 2, 2010

Another Day With The Six

What do the six of you think our priorities are for today? Since Sylvan wasn’t in the garden due to the tragedy of Trampolina (RIP) the farm team was on their own today. Thank God it was only a half day or David may have gotten in a fistfight with one of us. We learned this afternoon not to push David’s buttons through a story that involved roundhouse kicks to the face and dangling teeth.


David with his broken hoe. Pushed it a little too hard.

Our priority for today was to finish hoeing the vine field, where a variety of winter squash are growing, yum. I expressed my immaturity to the team today about how badly I wanted to crack jokes while Micha was giving us our hoeing lesson, so from then on, the door was reopened to dirty, broken, cheap, back braking hoe jokes. And it was hilarious.

If you are reading this, the chances are that you already know I pee my pants on a fairly regular basis. It’s a habit that I have never seemed to grow out of.

While we were hoeing this morning, I made a comment about how we needed more hula, or stirrup hoes. Kate replied that I was just using the sucky hoe. Alisha proceeds to say that it must have been pretty cheap, probably picked it up on the corner or something. Avana said that it didn’t really make sense to have to hoe with a straight back because of the angle of the tip. Well, there are a few pictures of how not to hoe, putting your back into it and getting’ down on all fours. I was laughing so hard when I took these I could barley stand up straight.


Tip #1: Mix up the positions if your back starts to hurt


Tip # 2: Practice good rhythm.

Aside from that, it was a pretty mellow day. Sandy massacred a couple peppers and tried to prop them back up and act like nothing happened. In the hot sun they were goners in minutes. It’s a mistake that we all make here and there while weeding. I took out a small corn stalk last week.

Here are some photos from today and yesterday. Enjoy!


Totally natural photo, not staged at all.


Garden pipe change. I'm woman-ing the hydrant.


Kate looking good, as usual.







Avana teaching Kate and I how to use the rototiller


The wind storm last night uncovered this beautiful gift for us today


Avana and I had a little photo shoot last night at the hoop house


Wheeling down the sides


Evening bike ride






This is the bomb shelter that the Emissaries keep all the ancient artifacts




Headed back to the Gabes after a long day of work


These ladies have the nicest arms! MEOW! Watch out David! These ladies can throw a punch


After lunch bloggin' sesh

Now off to a little Friday afternoon climbing at Combat Rock.

3 Comments:

At July 2, 2010 at 6:28 PM , Blogger Virginia Slim said...

hi. i wonder if this works.

 
At July 4, 2010 at 10:43 AM , Blogger Acey said...

I am definitely hooked. I can't wait to read another. The photos of ways not to use a hoe were really good. Seriously, I can see how shooting them could have led to unloading your bladder.

 
At July 4, 2010 at 10:19 PM , Blogger My Velvet Bumper said...

HAHAHA! Acey you crack me up. I thought of you when I put a note pad and pen in my fanny pack the other day. This stuff is hilarious and I want to write it all down. Love you brother.... and on another note, I'm always glad to hear about your wet pants accidents, for some reason it's reassuring to know its hereditary.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home